How can I get the most from my free minutes & data? How can I make it last longer?
Follow these 4 easy steps to get the most from your Q Link service by saving your minutes and data!
1. Get More with Wi-Fi
Connecting your Q Link phone to Wi-Fi is the most important thing you can do to make sure your keep your free minutes & data for when you need them.
When your phone is connected to Wi-Fi, you can…
- Make calls with app-to-app services like WhatsApp and Viber.
- Download movies & music to play and listen on your Q Link phone, without using up your data streaming them.
- Surf the web for homework, health information, job searches, and more.
- Send & receive emails to get updates from your child’s school, hear about job offers, and get help from Q Link Wireless’s friendly support team.
- Check social media to share special moments and keep in touch with family and friends near and far.
- Plus… GPS, games, calendars, and more!
2. Save Minutes with FREE App Calling
Why use your free minutes for calling when you can connect to Wi-Fi and use free apps to make calls without using your minutes OR data? Save your free minutes & data for when you’re on the go by using free apps like WhatsApp and Viber. Here’s how:
- Download WhatsApp or Viber at no cost
- Sign up for a free account & log in through the app
- Allow the app to access your contacts so you can see who has the app.
You can make calls to friends and family who also use these apps, anywhere!
Out of minutes? You can also use these apps to make calls using your data when you’re out of minutes. Or if you’re out of minutes and data, make calls with these apps by connecting your phone to Wi-Fi!
Or, you can add more minutes at our super low rates by clicking here. Adding minutes is easy, and check out our low-cost bundles to get unlimited minutes, unlimited text and picture messaging, plus your choice of data, starting at only $15!
3. Save Data by Adjusting App Settings
Apps like Facebook and Instagram automatically use extra data to load and play videos that come up in your news feeds. But you can change these settings so your apps only load what you want to see, instead of automatically loading every single video, taking up your data for videos you may not even want to watch.
If you’re using Facebook, you can change your settings so the Facebook app won’t automatically play videos in your feed. Videos take up a lot more data! Here’s how to do that:
- Open the Facebook app on your phone and tap “More” in the lower right corner.
- Scroll to the very bottom, and tap “Settings”.
- Select “Account Settings” from the menu.
- Choose “Videos and Photos” on the settings menu, and then tap “Autoplay”.
- You can select to autoplay videos only if you’re connected to Wi-Fi, or you can choose “Never Autoplay Videos”.
Hint: If you connect to any Wi-Fi signal that limits the amount of data you’re allowed to use each month, you’ll want to choose “Never Autoplay Videos”.
You can also change your Instagram settings to use less data.
- Click on the Settings icon in the upper right-hand corner of your personal profile.
- Scroll down to the “Settings” section and tap “Cellular Data Use.”
- There, you’ll see a switch. Make sure that switch is activated by switching it to the right (you’ll see the left-hand side of the switch turn blue).
Once activated, Instagram won’t pre-load videos on your feed, saving you data!
For other apps that you use often, check the settings sections. Many popular apps (like Netflix, Snapchat, YouTube, and others) include settings to help you reduce your data use, and unless you have unlimited data, adjusting app settings is well worth the couple minutes you’ll spend on it.
4. Save Data by Adjusting Phone Settings
When you’re at home, you don’t keep your lights on all over the house if you’re only using one room. Imagine the electric bill! Data’s no different. The apps that you have on your phone can be running in the background, even when you aren’t using them. That means they’re using your data up, when you aren’t even using the app!
Here’s how to fix that problem in just two easy steps:
Control How & When Apps Use Data
To stop an app from burning through data in the background on your Android phone, follow these 3 steps:
- Open up Settings and then tap “Data usage.” If you don’t see “Data usage,” you may need to tap “More.”
- Scroll down, and you’ll see a list of apps on your phone, arranged by how much data they’ve used.
- Tap on the app you want to prevent from using data, and select “Restrict background data.” Click “OK” on the pop-up.
The app will still use data when it’s open and you’re using it, but by following these steps, you’ll make sure it doesn’t waste data you need for other tasks.
Disable Automatic Syncing and Updates
To make sure apps aren’t downloading huge updates while you’re away from home and using mobile data, follow these easy steps:
- Open up the Google Play Store and tap “Play Store” in the upper left-hand corner to open the Google Play Store menu.
- Scroll down the menu and tap on “Settings.”
- Make sure that under “Auto-update apps”, it says “Auto-update apps over Wi-Fi only.” If it doesn’t, tap that section to change the setting.
Need more data? Adding extra data to your Q Link phone is super easy, and with our new minutes & data bundles, you can get unlimited minutes, unlimited text & picture messaging, and your choice of data, at super low prices—starting at only $15! Click here to find the bundle that works best for you.
Need a smartphone? If you have a basic handset and you’d like to replace it with a smartphone, click here. For a small fee of only $25, you’ll receive:
- A replacement Q Link phone
- An upgrade to a smartphone at no extra cost
- BONUS: We’ll throw in our free $25 bundle plan (unlimited minutes + 1GB data!)
Select your topic below: