Lifeline Program FAQs
- Eligibility Requirements
- Annual Recertification
- About Q Link Wireless
- Applying for Service
- Q Link Wireless Activation
- Q Link Services & Features
- Canceling Service
- Questions About Our Website
1. How would I qualify for Q Link Wireless' Lifeline Program?
Although eligibility varies by state, click here to enter your zip code and see what eligibility rules apply to you. It is important to note that the person applying to the program (not just a member of the household) must qualify for participation.
You may qualify for Q Link Wireless if you participate in Medicaid, Food Stamps/Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program(SNAP), Social Security Income (SSI), or other government assistance programs.
You may also qualify if your total household income is at, or below the Federal Poverty Guidelines in states that follow the federal eligibility criteria. States that have their own Lifeline Programs may set their own eligibility criteria by increasing or decreasing total household income limits or choosing not to use total household income as an eligibility criterion.
Click here to read more on eligibility.
2. How do I know if I am eligible?
Eligibility is based on household income (effective June 1, 2012) or participation in one or more of the programs listed below. A consumer may be eligible based on either household income OR program participation; it is not necessary that a consumer meet multiple eligibility criteria.
However, only one Lifeline benefit will be allowed per household. Federal law prohibits more than one person in each household from subscribing to separate Lifeline service providers.
Household Income: Effective June 1, 2012, a household is eligible for Lifeline if the total household income is at or below certain levels, (currently at 135% of Federal Poverty Guidelines in most states) depending on the size of the household. For 2012, the guidelines are as follows:
|Persons in Family or Household||Annual Income||Monthly Income|
|For each additional person, add...||$5,346||$445|
Program Participation: An individual or household is eligible for Lifeline if the individual or one member of the household participates in one of the following programs:
- Emergency Aid to the Elderly, Disabled and Children (EAEDC)
- Fuel Assistance (Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program or "LIHEAP")
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, formerly known as Food Stamps)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Transitional Aid to Families with Dependent Children (TAFDC)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (Section 8) (effective June 1, 2012)
- National School Lunch Program (free meals program only) (effective June 1, 2012)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) (effective June 1, 2012)
Click here to read more on eligibility.
3. Are there any restrictions for this program?
Yes, only a few restrictions apply:
- Q Link Wireless' Lifeline service is a federal benefit program only available to individuals who participate in a qualifying government program or who are income eligible based on household income eligibility standards.
- Only one wireless or landline Lifeline account is allowed per household (a household is defined, for purposes of the Lifeline Program, as any individual or group of individuals who live together at the same address and share income and expenses).
- Households are not permitted to receive benefits from multiple providers.
- Violation of the one-per-household requirement will result in de-enrollment from the Lifeline program.
- The address provided for your phone service must be the customer's current place of residence.
- The address provided for phone service must be issued in the name of the qualified customer and is non-transferable.
- If your Lifeline service goes unused for sixty (60) days, it may be suspended subject to a thirty (30) day probationary period in which the customer may contact Q Link Wireless to confirm that they want to continue receiving service.
- Customers must notify Q Link Wireless within thirty (30) days if they no longer qualify for Lifeline service. Q Link Wireless participation is subject to the Q Link Wireless Terms and Conditions found at www.qlinkwireless.com/terms.
4. What proof of eligibility do I need to provide when I apply?
Eligibility is verified by the telephone carriers that offer Lifeline service. You must provide proof of your eligibility by submitting acceptable documentation as listed below. You will also be required to sign an electronic or physical form, under penalty of perjury, that certifies that you meet the income-based or program-based eligibility criteria, among other things.
Acceptable documentation of income eligibility includes the prior year's state or federal tax return, current income statement from an employer or paycheck stub, a Social Security statement of benefits, a Veterans Administration statement of benefits, a retirement/pension statement of benefits, an Unemployment/Workmen's Compensation statement of benefits, a federal notice letter of participation in General Assistance, or a divorce decree, child support award, or other official document containing income information.
Acceptable documentation of program eligibility includes the current or prior year's statement of benefits from a qualifying state or federal assistance program, a notice or letter of participation in a qualifying state or federal assistance program, program participation documents (e.g., the consumer's SNAP electronic benefit transfer card or Medicaid participation card (or copy thereof), or another official document evidencing the household's participation in a qualifying state or federal program.
At the discretion of the Lifeline service provider, you may be able to present documentation of eligibility by multiple methods, including in-person and by mail. A carrier will not retain copies of this documentation after it verifies your eligibility.
5. How long can I have Q Link Wireless' service?
When you sign your Q Link Wireless application, you are confirming that you qualify for Q Link Wireless service based on participation in a government program or income eligibility. You are also confirming that you are the head of household and that your household receives only one Lifeline benefit (wireless or landline).
Upon enrollment you will receive your monthly allowance for 12 months and you will need to re-certify once a year, stating that you are still qualified to receive Q Link Wireless Lifeline service by signing the Annual Recertification. You will be reminded by Q Link Wireless via email, text or mail that you need to re-certify for the service.
Be sure to make at least one call every 30 days to continue receiving your free minutes each month. If you do not use your service for 60 consecutive days you risk being de-enrolled and deactivated.
Remember to inform us immediately upon learning that you no longer qualify for Lifeline service, and we will discontinue your Q Link Wireless service.
We will contact you annually to sign the Annual Recertification Form stating that you still qualify for Lifeline service. If during this process you do not respond by the response date, or we learn that you no longer qualify, we will discontinue your Q Link Wireless service.
You must notify Q Link Wireless within 30 days of moving. If your address listed is a temporary address you must verify with Q Link Wireless every 90 days.
6. Is my Lifeline service transferable to another person?
No, your phone service must be in the name of the qualified customer and is non-transferable.
7. What if I move or change address?
You should notify Q Link Wireless within 30 days of moving. If your address listed is a temporary address you must verify with Q Link Wireless every 90 days.
8. What should I do if I am no longer eligible for the Lifeline Program due to a change in my status?
If your status changes and you are no longer eligible to receive the Lifeline assistance program, it is your responsibility to notify Q Link Wireless at 1-855-QLINK43 at the time of this change.
9. Can I apply for more than one Lifeline cell phone?
No, only one wireless or landline Lifeline account is allowed per household (A household is defined, for purposes of the Lifeline Program, as any individual or group of individuals who live together at the same address and share income and expenses). Households are not permitted to receive benefits from multiple providers.
1. What is Annual Recertification?
Each year, Federal and/ or State regulatory authorities require that customers certify their continued eligibility for Lifeline Assistance programs at the time of the customer's service anniversary date.
2. What do I need to do to re-certify for the Lifeline Assistance program from Q Link Wireless?
In order to continue receiving your Lifeline service from Q Link Wireless, you must certify that you still qualify for Q Link Wireless based on participation in certain public assistance programs such as Medicaid, Food Stamps/Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), and Supplemental Security Income (SSI).
You may also continue to qualify if your total household income is at or below applicable Federal Poverty Guidelines based on family size if your state allows this.
3. When do I know if I have to re-certify my continued eligibility or to participate in the Annual Recertification process for the Lifeline Program through Q Link Wireless?
Q Link Wireless will send you friendly reminders prior to your service anniversary date.
You will be reminded by Q Link Wireless via email, text or mail that you need to re-certify for the service. Annual Recertification must be signed and received prior to your service anniversary date for continued service.
4. How can I re-certify for the Lifeline Assistance Program from Q Link Wireless?
We have several ways for you to re-certify- choose the one that's easiest for you:
- ONLINE- Complete, sign and submit the Annual Recertification electronic form at www.QLinkWireless.com.
- MAIL- Complete, sign and mail the Annual Recertification form.
- FAX- Complete, sign and fax the Annual Recertification form to 1- 855-837-5465.
5. What if I am randomly chosen for an Annual Verification Audit?
If you are randomly chosen for the Annual Verification Audit required by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and administered by the Universal Service Administrative Company (USAC), you will be required to provide documented proof of program participation or documented proof of income if qualified through the income based on the state's Federal Poverty Guideline table. A package with instructions will be mailed to you by Q Link Wireless and you will be required to comply with the instructions. Failure to comply will be cause for service cancellation from the Lifeline program benefit.
1. What is Q Link Wireless?
Q Link Wireless offers eligible customers a FREE wireless phone with up to 250 FREE minutes of nationwide wireless voice service each month. The FREE minutes each month are for local and domestic long-distance calling. Some plans offer International Long Distance (ILD). There are no bills, no long-term contracts and no activation fees through the Lifeline Assistance program.
Lifeline Assistance is only available on one phone line per household (including landlines). Q Link Wireless is available in limited geographic areas and is subject to the Q Link Wireless Terms and Conditions of Service.
2. Is Q Link Wireless service nationwide?
Yes. Service within the nationwide coverage area reaches more than 280 million people and is provided on the Nationwide Sprint® Network. Coverage is not available everywhere but Q Link Wireless strives to only offer service in all areas where coverage is available.
1. How do I apply for Q Link Wireless Service?
Click here to enter your email address and home zip code and see what application options are available to you.
2. How do I continue to receive Q Link Wireless service?
You can continue to receive Q Link Wireless service for as long as you continue to be eligible for Lifeline Assistance based on income or participation in a government assistance program. Eligibility is reviewed annually. Your service will be discontinued when you no longer meet the eligibility requirements, for example, if proof of eligibility is not received in a state that requires it. Customers who are no longer eligible for Q Link Wireless benefits must notify us at 1-855-754-6543 Monday through Friday, 9am - 6pm Saturday, 9am - 2pm , Eastern Standard Time.
1. How do I activate my Q Link Wireless phone?
Before you start using your Q Link Wireless phone, you will need to perform a few simple steps to set it up:
- Begin by inserting the phone battery and charging your new Q Link Wireless phone for 2 - 4 hours, or until it is fully charged.
- Next, activate your phone by dialing 611 on your Q Link Wireless phone. You will not be charged for any calls to 611.
- Now it is time to enjoy your new cell phone from Q Link Wireless. Remember, you must use your cell phone once every 30 days or it will be disconnected!
1. How much does it cost?
It costs ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! You can enjoy your Q Link Wireless Service under the Lifeline Program at NO COST.
2. How many minutes do I get each month?
The number of free minutes you receive each month depends on the plan you select and the state you reside in. Enter your zip code here for more details.
3. How long will I have service?
Upon enrollment you will receive your monthly allowance for 12 months and you will need to re-certify once a year through Annual Recertification. You will be reminded by Q Link Wireless via email, text or mail that you need to re-certify for the service.
4. Will I be required to sign a contract?
No. With Q Link Wireless, no contracts are ever required. You only need to click here to enter your zip code and begin the application process.
5. Are any additional features available with the Q Link Wireless service?
- Features such as Caller ID, Call Waiting and Voicemail are all included for free (depending on the phone specifications).
- Unused minutes will carry-over when using select plans.
- Your handset will remain active for one year upon shipment.
- 911 is a free call.
6. Can Q Link Wireless discounts be applied to an outstanding balance owed to your phone company?
No, they cannot.
7. Will I be able to use text messaging (SMS)? What is the price for that?
Q Link Wireless service supports SMS. The charge to send or open an incoming text message using your Q Link WIRELESS phone will vary depending upon your plan. Using the Text More (68 minute) plan, you will be charged 0.3 minute per text message for sending and receiving text messages. Under the Talk More (250 minute) and Talk and Text (125 minute) plans you will be charged 1 minute per text message for sending and receiving text messages.
8. Will I be able to roam?
Yes, your Q Link Wireless phone will clearly display on your screen when you are located in a roaming area and since Q Link Wireless' rates are the same for all calls, you never have to worry about roaming charges (roaming charges apply to international calls)!
9. Will I be able to make long distance calls?
The minutes you have with Q Link Wireless are nationwide Minutes. You can call anywhere in the United States for one low rate and make international long distance calls to select locations for the same rate (only if the International Calling & Texting plan is selected).
10. Are Toll-Free numbers really free?
Toll-Free telephone calls made from your Q Link Wireless phone are not free and you will be charged airtime minutes. Calls to Q Link Wireless customer service (611 on your Q Link Wirelss phone) are free. If you need to reach technical support for any issues with your handset, try calling from a landline to avoid using minutes on your Q Link Phone.
11. Does being a Q Link Wireless customer protect me from being disconnected if I don't pay my telephone bill?
With Q Link Wireless Service you do not have to worry about paying a bill or recurring fees. You will never receive a bill from Q Link Wireless!
12. When do I get my monthly minutes?
Upon receipt of your Q Link Wireless cell phone, your cell phone will have one year of service, and your minutes for the first month will have already been included. Each month, you will receive your free minutes on the first three days of the month as long as you have your phone powered on.
13. What happens if I do not receive my minutes on a given month?
If you do not receive your minutes on a given month, please call customer service Toll-Free at 1-855-754-6543 for instructions.
14. Do I have to buy a phone?
No. Provided you qualify for Q Link Wireless service, we will send you a phone that will allow you to enjoy the service at NO COST.
15. I already have a wireless phone. Can I activate it when I sign up for Q Link Wireless’ service?
No, you cannot. Upon qualification, customers will receive a free Q Link Wireless phone enabled for use with this program.
16. What if I need more than the up to 250 minutes of FREE voice time?
- $10 ~ 50 Anytime Minutes/30 Days Service
- $20 ~ 100 Anytime Minutes/30 Days Service
- $30 ~ 150 Anytime Minutes/30 Days Service
- $35 ~ 200 Anytime Minutes/60 Days Service
- $50 ~ 500 Anytime Minutes/60 Days Service
- $60 ~ Unlimited Anytime Minutes/30 Days Service
1. What happens if I cancel service?
If you are no longer eligible for Lifeline service and cancel service from the program, or are cancelled from the program, you still have the option to function as a regular Q Link Wireless customer. You have the ability to purchase Q Link Wireless minutes and value plans to add additional airtime minutes and service days. You can learn more about Q Link Wireless promotions by calling us Toll-Free at 1-855-754-6543.
2. Do I have to return the Q Link phone if I de-enroll from Lifeline?
No, the phone is yours to keep and can be used until your minutes run out, expire, or indefinitely.
3. What should I do if I lose my Q Link Wireless phone?
Don't panic. Take another look around and try to find your phone.
If you still cannot locate your phone, let us know right away and we will suspend service. That way, once your service is suspended, no one can use your remaining balance. We can help you get a replacement phone. We usually can have it to you in just a few days, and willl transfer any remaining balance on your account to your replacement phone.
Call us Toll-Free at 1-855-754-6543.
4. What if my Q Link Wireless phone breaks within the first year?
Your Q Link Wireless phone comes with a one-year warranty from the original equipment manufacturer. If you experience an equipment malfunction, call us Toll-Free at
1-855-754-6543 and we will arrange for a replacement cell phone.
5. Why did I get a different phone than the one pictured on the website?
Free Q Link Wireless phones are dependent upon availability, and models shipped may vary.
1. Is your website secure?
The security of your personal information is extremely important to us, so all Q Link Wireless web pages, including the ones that contain sensitive information (such as your date of birth), are encrypted using Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology. This means your personal information is kept private and can only be seen by our administrators and you.
2. What is SSL?
The Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) is a commonly-used protocol for managing the security of a message transmission on the Internet. Examples of websites where you will find SSL includes online banking and trusted ecommerce websites.
3. How do I verify that the pages are secure?
There are several ways to verify the security of a website. The easiest way is to check if the URL starts with HTTPS instead of the unsecured HTTP protocol. Secure pages also have a small padlock on the bottom or the top of the screen.